Feast on the traditional diets of Italy, Spain, Greece, and Southern France! The Mediterranean Program is also referred to as the “heart healing diet”, since it has been found to positively impact the cardiovascular system.* It contains around the same protein, less carbs and more high-quality fats than the standard diet. Think olive oil, fish, vegetables, legumes, fruits and whole grains; the fresher, the better. Keep intake of poultry, eggs, cheese and yogurt in moderation and get rid of processed foods e.g. luncheon meats, cereals, sweetened yoghurt. Don't eat alone, make it social to improve digestion and lower stress, just like the mediterraneans do! It's less of a program and more a lifestyle. Don't eat below your calorie goal and don't forget to track calories from drinks. Consider all of this as a general guideline, not something written in stone. The plan can be adjusted to your individual needs and preferences.
- Vegetables (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, avocado, spinach, zucchini, aubergine, mushroom, kale, cabbage, tomato)
- Fish & Seafood (i.e. salmon, cod, herring, rainbow trout, haddock, mackerel, hoki, tuna, shrimps)
- Legumes (i.e. lentils, black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas)
- Berries (i.e. strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cloudberries)
- Fruit (i.e. pear, apple, banana, mango, orange, plum)
- Root vegetables (i.e. potato, sweet potato, beetroot, carrot parsnip)
- Oils (i.e. rapeseed, olive, sesame)
- Seeds & Nuts (i.e. cashews, peanuts, walnuts, chia, psyllium, sunflower, pumpkin, hemp)
- Grains (i.e. oats, buckwheat, barley, kernel, quinoa, wheat berries)
- Whole grain products (i.e. whole grain pasta, whole grain bread)
Eat in moderation:
- Dairy (quark, cottage cheese, semi-skimmed milk, cheese, yoghurt)
- Lean meat (ribs, fillet, steak, mince, ground, breast, flank)
- Poultry (eg. chicken, turkey)
- Top your meals with plenty of herbs to make them even tastier!
- Drizzle some virgin olive oil onto your salad to get some healthy fats!
- Always choose whole grain products, they are filled with healthy fibers!
- Make sure you are using extra virgin olive oil and avoid the refined one. The extra virgin is the healthy choice!
- Check the app for suggestions and inspiration of healthy delicious Mediterranean recipes!
It's important to note that some foods and meals can end up with higher or lower score due to different nutritional information. If you're ever unsure, double check that all nutrition values are correct and if you find any errors you can always either edit the item yourself or report it. We do our absolute best to verify the accuracy of the nutrition information. Although, we cannot guarantee its accuracy.
If you are having any medical conditions or suffers from conditions like eating disorders you may not use Lifesum. In that case, always consult a doctor first.
Sources of recommendations: