Lose weight and feel fresh and alert throughout the day. The Ketogenic Program is high in fat and low in carbs.
When you get rid of the carbs your body will use its fat stores for energy - this is called entering into ‘ketosis’. According to what your goal is, you can choose different levels of the program. The more carbs you get rid of the better effect the program has (that is, the faster the weight loss goes). There are three different levels of the program in our app, easy - medium - strict.
On the strict plan you aim to eat 20 grams of carbs per day. As long as you are below 50 grams of carbs per day you shall have an easy path into ketosis. Throw out everything that's carb-heavy and full of sugar e.g. sweets & pastries, fruit, root vegetables, rice & pasta.
If you follow the ratings in the app you will see that all food items that contain <4 gram of carb/100 gram item get a high score. The more carbs the lower score. At the same time you’ll focus on getting enough dietary fiber, micronutrients and minerals to keep up the good health. It is therefore important to eat vegetables like tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms and radishes for example. The fat quality is also important so build up your meals with fatty fish, oils, nuts and avocado.
Most importantly, make sure to keep track of the carbs you eat; the program will work fine as long as you are in ketosis and don’t eat too many calories. Find your favourite foods rich in high-quality fats. In the app you'll find heaps of recipes to help you out. Don't cut down on the fat. Don't give in to your sugar cravings, they will pass in a few days. Prepare for some side effects, you will get more information about them inside the app along the journey.
Following a ketogenic strict lifestyle with only 5-10% carbs per day can be difficult in the long run, if this is something you experience we recommend you to try any of the other ketogenic plans in our app.
- Fatty fish (i.e. salmon, trout, tuna, mackerel)
- Poultry (i.e. chicken, turkey)
- Eggs (i.e. boiled, scrambled)
- Oils (i.e. olive, rapeseed, sesame)
- Vegetables (i.e. kale, spinach, broccoli, avocado, mushrooms, tomatoes, cauliflower, radishes, zucchini, lettuce, asparagus, aubergine, celery)
- Berries (i.e. raspberries)
Recommended in moderation:
- Full-fat dairy products (i.e. full fat yoghurt, cream, crème fraiche, full fat cottage cheese)
- Meat (i.e. pork, bison, beef)
- Coconut milk
- Nuts & seeds (depending on the content of carbs - read the label!)
- Read the food labels to avoid foods with sugar, unhealthy fats and artificial additives.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top of your salad or vegetables to enrich your meal with some healthy fat!
- Prepare your food from scratch! By doing this you know the exact ingredients of your meal and you can avoid sugar, artificial additives and unhealthy fats.
- Check out the Keto recipes in the app for meal suggestions and inspiration!
It's important to note that some foods and meals can end up with higher or lower score due to different nutritional information. If you're ever unsure, double check that all nutrition values are correct and if you find any errors you can always either edit the item yourself or report it. We do our absolute best to verify the accuracy of the nutrition information. Although, we cannot guarantee its accuracy.
If you are having any medical conditions or suffers from conditions like eating disorders you may not use Lifesum. In that case, always consult a doctor first.
Sources of recommendations:
European Journal of Nutrition - Overweight and diabetes prevention: is a low-carbohydrate-high-fat diet recommendable? - 2018